Saturday, September 25, 2010

I conquered the hills

Got up this morning, filled my belly full of pancakes and went to attack the mountains. They were definitely long and steep. The climbs were exhausting but the descents were exhilarating. I basically drew my strength from the giant redwoods lining the roads, got into a rhythm of peddling and just kept moving. My pace on the steepest part was 3.8 mph, which is just a little faster than a walking pace. I completed 40 miles today and I am in Orick CA., a very small town of about 480 people. On my way, I biked through Elk Prarie State Park. I spotted a group of elk and stopped and watched them for a long time. I have a pair of binoculars with me. Thre were 5 big bulls, 4 spikes, and 12-15 cows. It was fun to watch them play and eat. One big bull was trying to come on to the cows, but they would have nothing to do with him. He bugled a couple of times, but the ladies were not impressed. Met a couple today who have been bicycling for 6 years. They met in Montana 6 years ago and they have been on the road ever since. They looked like they were in their mid 50's. He takes odd jobs from time to time to help finance their lifestyle. They basically live in a tent. They bathe in the rivers, and they simply replace their gear when it wears out. What do you think Kim? Does that appeal to you? (lol). The redwoods are magnificent. They average about 300 feet tall. The real big ones are about 370 feet high. They are inspiring. I think of their centuries of spreading their roots deep in mother earth while branching upward into the heavens, inch by inch. If they could speak, I think their wisdom would astound us. It is Saturday and I will be taking a rest day tomorrow, so you will not hear from me until Monday evening, as long as I am in an area with Internet service. Until then, stay happy. Jerry

1 comment:

  1. Way to go, Jerry! I knew you would get up those hills without any problem. Getting into a rhythm is the only way to go up hills. I like the idea of you and Kim staying out on the bike for the next several years! Not a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete